If you’re a gay man who struggles in your relationships, our Sydney gay group ‘Real Intimacy’ can help you to develop the skills you need to create deeper connections with yourself and other men.
***Please note: our next group is scheduled for June, 2017 and only 2 places remain. Please fill in the form at the bottom of this page to register your interest.***
Are you finding that your relationships with other gay men are shallow and dissatisfying? Perhaps you have lots of gay friends, but you never seem to be able to go deeper in your connection with those you are closest to. You have a feeling that there must be another way of relating, but you’re not sure what it is or how to do it.
Maybe you feel anxious in social settings and feel awkward when you relate to other gay men. You use alcohol or drugs to build your confidence, yet the crashes keep getting bigger and you’re almost always feeling down.
Or perhaps everything is ok in your life and relationships, but you think they could be a lot better and you are interested in finding out how.
Maybe you can relate to the following:
- You struggle to be intimate with other men and find it hard to express your feelings
- Your relationships are superficial and shallow and your life lacks meaning and purpose
- You often worry about whether you will ever find a partner you can build a life with
- You feel anxious and nervous around other gay men and avoid social settings
- You lack the confidence to be assertive and often miss out on getting what you really want in life
- You are ashamed of your sexual orientation, or are confused about your attraction to other men
- You life is lacking excitement, happiness, laughter and joy
- You keep repeating the same relationship mistakes over and over again
If you can relate to some of these things, then you are not alone. Our ‘Real Intimacy’ gay mens’ group may be the answer you have been looking for…
The Real Intimacy gay group is a form of group therapy that is a powerful therapeutic way of working on many personal issues that get in the way of you living a full and rich life.
Group therapy is powerful because it harnesses the power of learning through relationships. This means in the Real Intimacy gay men’s group, you have an opportunity to learn how to relate in more effective and productive ways through hearing, observing and learning from others and receiving feedback on how other group members relate to you.
Think of group therapy like a small community. Within this small community, you will start to relate to others in familiar ways. Some of the ways you relate may assist you in getting what you want in your life, and some may actually get in the way of you getting what you want.
In the group you can learn through experience and relating to other men what is preventing you from creating deep and fulfilling relationships.
Our Real Intimacy gay group also provides you with a safe place to experiment with changing your behaviour so that you can learn to communicate and relate in effective and rewarding ways.
How does the Real Intimacy gay group work?
- There will be up to 10 group members.
- Groups will be held on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
- The initial commitment will be for 10 sessions.
- The group will be closed once started and no new members will join during the 10 sessions.
- You will need to participate in the group to get the most out of it.
- You will develop personal goals that you will work on in the group.
- The group will have a ‘here and now’ focus. This means you will share your thoughts and feelings in the present moment with the group and other members.
- Giving and receiving feedback with other members is a part of the process. This is how you learn about the unique way that you relate to others.
Our Real Intimacy gay men’s group therapy is a proven therapeutic method that is effective in empowering gay men in learning to create deep, intimate and satisfying relationships with other men.
Through participating in the Real Intimacy group you can:
- develop the skills of effective communication so that you learn to ask and get what you want in life
- understand the road blocks you have to being intimate with other men
- begin to experience love, joy and laughter again
- move beyond superficial friendships and learn how to deepen your relationships with other men
- relate to other men that are looking for something deeper in life than just the ‘gay scene’
- feel less anxiety and greater confidence about connecting and making friendships with gay men
- discover how to feel great about your sexuality and your sexual orientation
Clinton Power and Adam McLean are passionate about facilitating groups and have over 20 years of combined experience in running group therapy in different settings.
Group therapy is an effective and cost-effective way to work on your relationship issues and intimacy with other gay men. The cost of each group therapy session is significantly less than an individual therapy or counselling session.
Group therapy may be the best investment you make for your life and your relationships.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions for more details about the next men’s group by visiting this page.